couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jim Klo <jim....@sri.com>
Subject Re: Tracking doc access
Date Fri, 15 Mar 2013 02:13:07 GMT
I think you'd be better off tracking access by inserting an immutable document with a new timestamp
and doc._id of the accessed document.

You could then create a view that 'joined' the timestamp doc with real doc, by emiting timestamp
as key and { _id: accessed_doc._id } as the value then requesting with_docs=true if I remember
correctly…

Updating doc to append a timestamp would be inherently slow if you have a high volume of repeat
access and cause your views to consistently have to update…

just my 2¢

- Jim

Jim Klo
Senior Software Engineer
Center for Software Engineering
SRI International
t.	@nsomnac

On Mar 14, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Stephan Bardubitzki <stephan@bardubitzki.com>
 wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I have a task where I need to track how often a doc is accessed. The two possible ways
I can think of are: