couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Simon de boer <sdeb...@ingamer.com>
Subject Re: Curiosity how you use CouchDB in your web env.
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 20:20:29 GMT
It would be great to take out the application layer, but the need for
more Authorization controls in a relatively straight forward manner
would be key to having this work.

There are many use cases where data for one user should be completely
impossible to access by another user.  And the more complex case of
some data being conditionally private, ex. my friends can see my email
address, but it is private for all other users.

Not only do these sort of inter-connections require more authorization
capability, but might require extreme engineering in order to wedge
them into the CouchDB paradigm.

The other option is that some requests go direct to CouchDB, as in the
public items, but other items go through the application.  Which is
entirely viable, but you would be have be working at such a scale to
make the overhead of maintaining this setup worthwhile.

FWIW: I use a heavy Javascript client, Rails (Apache + Passenger),
MemCache, with data migrating on a feature by feature basis from MySQL
and to CouchDB.    The eventual plan is to move to a much thinner
Application Server with data backed by Redis and CouchDB.

--
Become the head coach with InGamer Sports!
http://www.InGamer.com/

Simon de Boer
519-400-4774