couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to workaround missing id in a request to Update Handler
Date Wed, 20 Mar 2013 13:59:16 GMT
On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 6:43 AM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Robin,
>
> I re-read the comments on your PR. I hope you didn't read it too
> personally as I'm sure that wasn't the intention of those that
> commented. The issue is that a roundtrip through Javascript evaluation
> is a significaters arnt overhead. No matter how you implemented it, it would
> almost certainly be too slow for a useful URL rewriting feature. I
> don't dispute that the URL rewriter in couchdb could be improved,
> though. I think a viable path would be a more powerful microlanguage,
> something modelled on mod_rewrite or the nginx module, perhaps? In
> summary, I'd love to see a rewriter feature in CouchDB that is
> comprehensive while still being fast; you're not the first to reach
> its limits.
>
> B.

One less limited I proposed 2 years ago is that one too:

https://github.com/benoitc/couchapp-ng

Which is not reusing another dsl but simply the regexp pattern like
all routers around. But what is really wanted here is a full access to
the couchdb api to return a doc from anything in the query or headers.
which is quite different. We could also go for another script language
like lua that can be interpreted natively.

- benoit