couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Will Heger <will.he...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: map timezones
Date Sat, 09 Mar 2013 07:00:01 GMT
@Jens,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I've settled on the idea that
milliseconds + offset (hours) is ultimately the best solution.

1. your point about time parsing.  If ever there is cause to do math on a
date, elapsed time for instance, I'd rather just take the difference
between two long integers rather than converting to milliseconds twice.

2. It's always faster to go from epoch to ISO rather than ISO to epoch.
 And If the representation is not fixed, or multiples are necessary, it's
nice to be able to simply choose a reporting format.

3. It's both the smallest byte-wise and highest resolution option.

4. DST math, like time elapsed across DST time changes is really safe.

5. epoch time sorts both alpha and numeric

The only downside is readability I think.

Thanks for all the feedback,
-Will