couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Russell Branca <chewbra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data Visualization
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2013 05:11:38 GMT
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM, Benoit Chesneau <bchesneau@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Thursday, March 14, 2013, Russell Branca wrote:
>
> > I'm partial to D3.js, which is a powerful library for data manipulation
> and
> > provides good constructs for creating SVG based visualizations. It is
> not a
> > "charting" library though, but rather a library you would use to create
> > such a tool.
> >
> > D3.js: http://d3js.org/
> >
> > Two nice charting libraries on top of D3:
> >
> > http://nvd3.org/
> > http://code.shutterstock.com/rickshaw/
> >

> which one would you advice?

They're both quite good for building simple things. NVD3 has a wider
variety of display types, like pie charts, bullet charts, and the tree
view. Whereas Rickshaw has a more interactive and real time support and a
good example with:
http://code.shutterstock.com/rickshaw/examples/extensions.html.

Overall either make a pretty good 80% solution for getting something
running quickly, but at the end of the day they're just wrappers around D3,
and if you want a fully customized visualization, D3 is the way to go.

If you interact with and filter data sets in javascript, D3 is a fantastic
tool to have in your toolkit, as it provides a great set of utility
functions for manipulating data, but the really interesting part of D3 is
the concept that it gets its name from, "Data Driven Documents," which is
basically a way to build data sets that change over time and to easily
trigger state transitions when your data changes. Worth looking into, and
lots of good resources out there to learn from. Also, the white paper for
D3 is quite interesting: http://vis.stanford.edu/files/2011-D3-InfoVis.pdf.

Hope that helps!

-Russell