couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Russell Branca <chewbra...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Data Visualization
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2013 18:17:32 GMT
Nice, Rgraph looks fun. Canvas is very useful if you get enough data where
you want to rasterize your visualizations. SVG works very well, but it
creates a DOM node for every data point, so with enough data it get slow
and you need to take a different approach. SVG is far more interactive and
is just DOM, so it works much better with all the standard javascript
tools. I definitely recommend using SVG until you get enough data where it
becomes a problem.

-Russell

On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 9:13 AM, Dan Santner <dansantner@me.com> wrote:

> Totally agree with these comments.  My personal experience was with
> highcharts which was very simple to implement and I would highly recommend
> if you are doing something that they support/solve. Once I started drawing
> outside their lines.....it got to be a problem.  d3js took me out of pocket
> for a bit because I had to spend a few days learning how they do things,
> but once the lightbulb went on I found that there is literally nothing you
> can't do with that library.  So I think it lends itself to the person who
> is very particular about what they want to do and has the extra budget to
> spend learning it.
>
> I also want to mention Rgraph.  If you are ok using HTML5 canvas, it's
> super fast but you sacrifice some of the things that SVG gives you free...
> On Mar 14, 2013, at 10:18 AM, David Coallier <david.coallier@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Here's my two cents on it:
> >
> > Depending on what you want to achieve, Google Charts might be good
> enough.
> >
> > If you need to perform some analysis, perhaps R and ggplot2 would be
> enough
> > for you (Using RJSON and Rcurl) as it's quite easy to fetch information
> > from CouchDB.
> >
> > Now, d3js is a project I personal adore and hate at the same time. It is
> > extremely powerful, but it can be quite confusing and hard to wrap your
> > head around.
> >
> > If I were you I'd analyse what is the problem you are trying to solve.
> For
> > instance, if your data is mostly time-series based, something like
> > Cubism.js (Which is powered by d3js) might be interesting for you.
> >
> > Rickshaw might be enough for you (at least to get started).
> >
> > Again, considering what problem you are trying to solve is very
> important.
> > I'd also take a look at http://selection.datavisualization.ch/ which
> > contains various tools related to data visualisation that might be quite
> > useful to you.
> >
> > I hope this helps a bit.
> >
> > On 14 March 2013 11:53, Dan Santner <dansantner@me.com> wrote:
> >
> >> +1 for d3js
> >>
> >> On Mar 14, 2013, at 12:30 AM, Stephan Bardubitzki <
> stephan@bardubitzki.com>

> >> manipulation
It
> is