couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: view_indexer fails / cryptic error messages
Date Fri, 22 Mar 2013 12:58:56 GMT
[<<"index">>],<<"\\&CouchDB::AppServ::
Docclass::map_doctype #version=19">>,

doesn't look quite right to me. Could you friendpaste/gist your design document?

FYI: If you try uploading your design document to Cloudant you'll get
an error message if it's malformed or the map/reduce code does not
compile. I think we're porting that work as part of the merge, or
shortly after.

B.

On 22 March 2013 08:38, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:
> On 22 March 2013 09:20, Dave Cottlehuber <dch@jsonified.com> wrote:
>> On 22 March 2013 06:16, Gerald Richter - ECOS <richter@ecos.de> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> I am using couchdb for over two years now and I really love it, but I hate it’s
error messages. If there is one thing I would wish that should be in the next release, than
it would be: human readable error messages. I know that writing good error messages is nothing
that programmer likes to do. We like more to implement great new features, but for the daily
work having a good diagnostic message is of so much value and saves so much time…

>> Good call, maybe you want to open a JIRA for this and we can discuss
>> what needs to change?
>>
>>> So in addition to the many hour I spend in the past, trying to decrypt an error
message of couchdb, here is one that really gives me no clue what it is about and I am giving
up. Neither starting couchdb with debug output, nor looking at the output of my viewserver,
shows anything irregular. Basically a view index is rebuild and it crashes somewhere in the
middle of the process with the error message below.  I hope somebody on the list, could shed
some light what’s going on here.