couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Gonzalez <gonva...@gonvaled.com>
Subject Update handler is very slow
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2013 11:06:41 GMT
Hi,

We have a problem in our data: we have been inconsistent in one of our
fields, and we have named it in different ways. Besides, in some places we
have used int, in other places string. I have created an update handler to
correct this situation, and I am running it for our 100 thousand documents
database, by doing PUT requests, as explained
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Document_Update_Handlers

What I am doing is:

   1. get affected documents with a view
   2. call the update handler.

And this is running over an ssh tunnel.

My problem is that this is veeeery slow. Currently I am running at 4
docs/s. Is this normal?

I could do this locally (no ssh tunnel), but I guess things would not
improve much, since the data being transferred is not that big (no
include_docs, and the view emits very litte information). I have the
impression that the bottleneck is couchdb itself: the update handler is
just that slow.

Am I right about this? Is there a way to speed this up?

Thanks,
Daniel