couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dan Santner <dansant...@me.com>
Subject Re: Data Visualization
Date Thu, 14 Mar 2013 16:13:19 GMT
Totally agree with these comments.  My personal experience was with highcharts which was very
simple to implement and I would highly recommend if you are doing something that they support/solve.
Once I started drawing outside their lines.....it got to be a problem.  d3js took me out of
pocket for a bit because I had to spend a few days learning how they do things, but once the
lightbulb went on I found that there is literally nothing you can't do with that library.
 So I think it lends itself to the person who is very particular about what they want to do
and has the extra budget to spend learning it.

I also want to mention Rgraph.  If you are ok using HTML5 canvas, it's super fast but you
sacrifice some of the things that SVG gives you free...
On Mar 14, 2013, at 10:18 AM, David Coallier <david.coallier@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's my two cents on it:
>
> Depending on what you want to achieve, Google Charts might be good enough.
>
> If you need to perform some analysis, perhaps R and ggplot2 would be enough
> for you (Using RJSON and Rcurl) as it's quite easy to fetch information
> from CouchDB.
>
> Now, d3js is a project I personal adore and hate at the same time. It is
> extremely powerful, but it can be quite confusing and hard to wrap your
> head around.
>
> If I were you I'd analyse what is the problem you are trying to solve. For
> instance, if your data is mostly time-series based, something like
> Cubism.js (Which is powered by d3js) might be interesting for you.
>
> Rickshaw might be enough for you (at least to get started).
>
> Again, considering what problem you are trying to solve is very important.
> I'd also take a look at http://selection.datavisualization.ch/ which
> contains various tools related to data visualisation that might be quite
> useful to you.
>
> I hope this helps a bit.
>
> On 14 March 2013 11:53, Dan Santner <dansantner@me.com> wrote:
>
>> +1 for d3js
>>
>> On Mar 14, 2013, at 12:30 AM, Stephan Bardubitzki <stephan@bardubitzki.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks Russell, d3.js looks interesting. Will definitely give it a try.
>>>
>>> Stephan
>>>
>>> Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

>> manipulation
>> create