couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: JSON arrays in CouchDB
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2013 18:30:45 GMT

On Mar 30, 2013, at 10:12 AM, John <john.mg.allen@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm using an android client (TouchDB) to do a filtered replication.

How are you using the filter function? If you’re specifying a filter in a pull replication,
the filter function lives in (and runs on) the remote server. If it’s in a push replication,
the function runs locally.

It really helps to say explicitly right up front what software and version you’re using,
on the client as well as the server side. In particular, the Android version of TouchDB is
rather unfinished, sort of in a pre-alpha state of development. (FYI, I’m the author of
the iOS/Mac version of TouchDB, from which the Android version is ported.)

> Soon as
> I have any mention of docs.countries in the filter function it fails to
> replicate. I get an IOException error, which I assume is due to the fact
> docs.countries is failing and causing nothing to get replicated. If I
> filter on docs.expiryDate alone it works.

If this is a push replication, the problem might be that query parameters aren’t supported
on Android, that is, rec.query might be undefined. IIRC, the initial implementation of filters
didn’t support parameters, and that might not have been added to the Android version yet.
So try replacing your use of rec.query with a hardcoded string like “GB” and see if that
works.

If this is a pull replication, TouchDB/Android might not be passing the “?filter=“ parameter
to the remote server’s _changes feed. Again, it’s possible this wasn’t originally supported.
But I don’t know much about the exact development state of TouchDB/Android.

It’d be best to discuss this further either on the mobile-couchbase Google group, or by
filing a Github issue against TouchDB-Android.

—Jens