couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fixed precision of floating point number not respected in views
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 08:03:21 GMT
On Tue, Feb 19, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> As for alternative data formats, there are a lot of them around, and I don’t see that
EDN would have an advantage over any of the others that are better known and more widely adopted,
like YAML. Changing away from JSON would be a compatibility nightmare, anyway (speaking as
the author of a Couch-compatible replication engine.)

edn has the advantage to provide you a way to describe the number by
annotating it somehow. So it doesn't  solve the "maths" problem but
would solve the representation or at least make it a little better
when for example you expect a real with 2 decimals  you will get it
instead of having X non expected decimals.

Going to a new format would be for sure a challenge but not that big
if apache couchdb and compatible product respect the content-type
header. And it will be a user choice.

- benoît