couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Gabriel <a...@barbalex.ch>
Subject Re: Writing thousands of documents
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:15:10 GMT
Hi Aurélien

Yes, I do create objects with a single post. Here I need to update existing
objects though.
BULK! How could I forget that. Thanks so much for helping my poor memory!
I'm sure this solves the problem as I have used this solution earlier...

The application collects information on species. I'm populating lots of
data from the old application (an MS Access project) in a one-time
administration operation now using the approach with MS Access and the
JavaScript Interface Library for Microsoft Access from http://accessdb.
sourceforge.net. The application enables users (Swiss nature conservation
agencies, universities and others) to upload new data also. And such new
data can contain ten-thousands of objects too.

I'm sure there are better ways to do this one-time administration
operation, probably involving other languages and not going through the
browser. But besides being experienced with MS Access I know JavaScript
(much better than visual basic) and CouchDb and, well, if you have a hammer
everything looks like a nail...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Alex