couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: Filemaker to CouchDB
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 22:04:45 GMT
Probably a little more complicated than that.

Filemaker is interesting in that, unlike SQL, it allows for repeating
fields - so you have to worry about more than exporting tables, you have
to worry about records that have some structure.

While it provides for export to a lot of formats, including CSV and
Excel, if your database includes repeating fields, you need to figure
out how to export into something that lets you maintain the structure of
complicated records. You could, for example:
- export to a format that does support repeating fields (Filemaker seems
to support export of repeating fields to XML), then do something to
convert to json for use w/Couch
- Filemaker will expose data via a web service - so you could write
something that sucks data out of Filemaker then puts it into Couch

There does seem to be a lot of information available if you Google
Filemaker, export, "repeating fields," JSON, XML, and so forth.

Filemaker also is sort of a programming environment - people write
fairly fancy applications that can go well beyond what people do with
Excel macros.  If you also want to export those, you're on your own.
(Not that long ago I was faced with an application written in an
obsolete version of Filemaker, old enough that it will no longer run on
newer versions of Mac OS.  Converting to something else was a right
royal pain.)

Miles Fidelman