couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Fixed precision of floating point number not respected in views
Date Wed, 20 Feb 2013 03:01:07 GMT

On Feb 19, 2013, at 12:46 PM, Luca Morandini <lmorandini@ieee.org> wrote:

> Well, there it goes my academic track paper on CouchDB and GeoCouch for FOSS4G '13 :(

Are roundoff errors on the order of one part in 2^56 really a deal-breaker for your application?
I mean, “17.300000000000000711” does _look_ ugly compared to “17.3”, but the difference
is completely negligible for most purposes. Have you worked out how many significant figures
of accuracy you need, and are the results correct to within those significant figures?

—Jens