couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Elisiano Petrini <elisi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Tree like structures in CouchDB
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2013 07:31:20 GMT
I understand the concept, but on the same level there could be more than
one child. Using this as an ID would work only if you put something
unique to the node in composing the ID.

Generating a sequential ID (per tree level) depending on the order of
arrival might lead to collisions (if messages arrive at the same time).

Anyhow, I feel we're digressing here :)

On Fri, 2013-02-22 at 16:23 +0900, svilen wrote:
> that's the path to root stored as id
> so answers to 1-2 will be say 1-2-5 1-2-6 1-2-33
>
> > Hi Kim,
> >     I don't think using this kind of documents' ids is a viable
> > solution: what if there is more that one message in response to
> > another (ie:several people answering to the same message)?
> >
> > On Fri, 2013-02-22 at 07:00 +0000, Jim Klo wrote:
> > > In theory you mention infinite depth, but is that realistic?
> > >
> > > A simple way is to make ID's a composite serial and chain them
> > > together.
> > >
> > > 1 : orig message
> > > 1-2 : reply to 1
> > > 1-2-5 : reply to 2
> > > 1-3 : reply to 1
> > > 1-3-4 : reply to
> > >
> > > The keys will then sort in order, such that can build the tree DFS
> > > and use range queries to get just segments.
> > >
> > > You can obviously do some creative things in compression - using
> > > different number bases to handle deep trees.

Just