couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <...@iriscouch.com>
Subject Node.js npm December usage
Date Tue, 01 Jan 2013 05:32:46 GMT
Hi, all. Sorry to be distant from the community recently. No excuse.

I thought I might share December stats from one of Apache CouchDB's most
well-known deployments and killer apps: the Node.js npm registry.

## Facts

* Zero downtime
* Three data centers: SoftLayer, EC2, Joyent
* 99,327,470 HTTP queries served = 37/sec

* Slowest minute: Dec 08 09:35, 578 queries = 9.6/sec
* Busiest minute: Dec 20 18:43, 19,776 queries = 329/sec

* Slowest second: (many), 0 queries
* Busiest second: Dec 20 18:43:03, 932 queries/sec

## Reflections

This is only the public registry. Our customers and also independent third
parties run their own replicas. We do not or cannot (respectively) publish
their usage stats.

Think about that. Isaac owns the registry. We run the registry. Yet neither
of us can even **know** its entire function, much less do anything about
it. That is empowerment. That is why I joined CouchDB. CouchDB is free
software for free data. It carries the ideals of the Free Software movement
into the 21st century.

Plenty of sites can produce more impressive numbers than these. There are
even larger CouchDB sites out there. But I am still proud. This is not a
multi-million dollar venture-capitalized eyeball something something. We
run standard, orthodox Apache CouchDB. That is encouraging. I did not
deliver these numbers. Apache CouchDB did. These are not benchmarks. These
are production logs. That is nine-hundred thirty-two satisfied customers in
one second! (Well, a true sysadmin would say "not-yet disappointed
customers" which is all one can ask for.) It shows that anybody can wield
CouchDB to similar effect.

There are general-purpose programming languages, and there are
domain-specific programming languages. Nobody gets upset because you can't
write a web server in YAML. Nobody uses .java configuration files.

Apache CouchDB is a domain-specific database. The npm registry shows: for
the domain CouchDB addresses, it has no peer.

--
Iris Couch