couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Mark Hahn <m...@hahnca.com>
Subject Re: general question about couch performance
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 03:37:04 GMT
Thanks.

> Now for IDs I thought this API [1] was for retrieving sequential UUIDs

I just read your reference [1].  I was surprised to read that what is
labelled "sequential" is only partially sequential.  The prefix is random.
 So it is a UUID after all, not a simple sequence . So using them on
multiple doc generating servers is not a problem.  I'll have to consider
this.

Now my only problem is that currently my app takes advantage of the
utc_random algorithm.  I use the id to keep docs sequenced in time and I
even pull the creation time out of the ID.  In retrospect that was pretty
stupid.