couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: replication by view
Date Wed, 30 Jan 2013 19:24:03 GMT

On Jan 30, 2013, at 10:06 AM, Stephen Bartell <snbartell@gmail.com> wrote:

> This seems like a huge improvement! Replicating with filters always bothered me because
a first time replication would need to traverse the entire database.  Not to mention the timeout
issues which could occur if the db is massive.  I just figured it was a necessary evil.

I agree. Some users of TouchDB have been having performance problems doing filtered pulls
from upstream CouchDB databases, for this reason. Filtered replication is important for mobile
clients because they may not have the bandwidth or storage space to replicate an entire server-side
database.

Is there any chance this feature will be folded back into the main CouchDB source tree?

—Jens