couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <>
Subject Re: Running couchdb remotely (from an interactive shell)
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 15:12:48 GMT
On 12 December 2012 15:51, Nestor Urquiza <> wrote:
> Hi Robert,
> For maintenance purposes you might want to remotely restart couchdb.
> For example you remotely install couchdb and after that you remotely
> harden it (changing configuration files) which demands a restart.

Applying changes via the _config API allows CouchDB to restart only
the impacted subsystems. This is more likely to fit your needs.

> We prefer to maintain the servers remotely rather than login into them
> and manually execute commands. We script the commands for absolutely
> everything, from building the whole server to patching it to changing
> configuration etc.

You can use the _restart API for this without even needing to log on.

> With the same recipe we guarantee not relying on memory or going
> manually through steps. The steps are in scripts.
> BTW we use Plain Old Bash (POB) recipes with the help of Remoto-IT, a
> simple and open source script based on expect and to remotely run
> scripts in a server.
> The init.d script as I said will die as it is attached to the console
> session if you are running it from ssh. The nohup command can be used
> like screen can be used as well (like mentioned in this thread).
> I believe in these days where automation is key, couchdb should
> support be run from a remote ssh interactive session. That is what my
> change (using nohup) allows. I am wondering if it makes sense to
> include the change even if it demands a configure or *.ini option.

Hi Nestor,

TBH I'm puzzled why launching CouchDB interactively  is somehow better
compared to using upstart or whatever your preferred OS uses to
implement daemons.

If there's something the init scripts are not doing today I'd prefer
that we address that directly, so all distros can benefit from it.
What's missing?

View raw message