couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What is the purpose of reduce_limit setting
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2012 08:34:13 GMT
"Fix it" is a bit subjective. Its basically a way to signal when you
probably have a reduce function that's misbehaving. The reduce_limit
setting puts an upper limit on the rate at which reduce values can grow as
they are calculated. Its coarse and not super duper awesome but helps avoid
most people understand what's going wrong when they first start using
reduces.

The only downside to setting reduce_limit=false is that if your reduce
function misbehaves then your view updates will get exponentially slower
and more resource hungry as the view size grows. If you're sufficiently
experienced with reductions and can manage to avoid that situation then
there's no reason to not remove the limit.

If however you do remove the limit then you just have to remember that if
things go south on a view build with a reduce, its probably a bad reduce.