couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Ciprian Dorin Craciun <ciprian.crac...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regarding `_bulk_docs` atomicity [Was: Re: How to find the change sequence of a document's revision]
Date Sun, 23 Dec 2012 15:24:58 GMT
On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
> A meta-point, is that the precise semantics of all_or_nothing:true,
> and uses of it, are at least partially stepping away from a core
> notion in CouchDB, that we're document-oriented, that we consciously
> don't provide group update semantics, knowing that they are difficult
> to scale.
>
> Anyway, Xmas lecture over. :) I think, as long as you avoid
> replication, then your hack will work with current all_or_nothing:true
> behavior, I just worry that you're avoiding embracing the document
> model by doing so.

    Thank you very much for your explanation! This was what I was
looking for. :)

    Now about your observation related to the CouchDB document-centric
design, indeed you are right: starting to use such semantics that make
promises at other levels of granularity than a document, will depart
from the "core" model of CouchDB, and in the long term will get the
developer in all kind of strange situations. (But using such features
sparingly would solve some issues that are otherwise too complicated.)

    Thanks again,
    Ciprian.