couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Barry Wark <>
Subject CouchDB crashes on startup on OS X with a space in the an added .ini path
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2012 03:54:42 GMT
I'm hoping to run CouchDB as a per-user Launch Agent on OS X. I'm using the
coucdbx-core folder from the CouchDB as the base of my CouchDB

I'd like each user to have their own couch instance (on a different port),
necessitating separate config files for each instance. The logical place to
put these files is in ~/Library/Application Support/ for each user. I can
put the entire distribution in ~/Library/Application
Support/my-app/coucdbx, and put the .ini at ~/Library/Application
Support/my-app/local.ini. Starting couchdb as bin/couchdb -a ../local.ini
(from ~/Library/Application Support/my-app/coucdbx) works great. But I'd
like to save every user the ~50MB couchdbx and install the couchdbx-core in
a shared location (e.g. within my app's .app bundle). When I do this, the
path to the per-user config file contains a space, and I get the following
error when starting CouchDB:

oso:couchdbx-core barry $ bin/couchdb -n -a ~/Library/Application\
{"init terminating in

Is there any way to provide a config file at the command line, if that
config file's path includes space(s)? Despite my best efforts in the
mailing list archives, wiki and google, I haven't been able to find a
solution or a definitive "it can't work". Any help greatly appreciated.