couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: We should be at ApacheCon North America in February 2013
Date Fri, 09 Nov 2012 14:07:23 GMT
More information from Sally Kundari & the ApacheCon NA team:

> Hello everyone --
>
> Two items of note regarding ApacheCon North America, taking place in Portland, Oregon,
the last week of February 2013.

> 1) Call for Presentations has been extended to Sunday, 11 November.
>
> ApacheCon will kick off on 24 February with two days of pre-conference trainings, BarCamp,
and hackathon; the main conference + expo is 26-28 February, followed by post-conference sprints,
workshops, and team building events through 2 March.

> This year's theme is "Open Source Community Leadership Drives Enterprise-Grade Innovation",
showcasing the diverse applications and solutions made possible by Apache technologies.

> We encourage submissions that demonstrate novel uses of Apache products and how they
are helping to shape the future, including proposals on technical, business, and community
matters for audiences at all levels from beginner to expert. Demonstrations of real-world
experience in solving specific problems are particularly welcome. Submit your presentation
and training proposals at http://na.apachecon.com/cfp/

> Dozens of Apache projects —from Abdera to Apache HTTP Server to
> Zookeeper— will be represented across popular topic areas and tracks
> that include: Apache Daily (everyday tools, frameworks, and components), ApacheEE (Java
Enterprise projects at the ASF), Big Data, Enterprise
> Messaging & Integration, Cloud, Linked Data, Lucene/Solr &
> Friends (Smart Search & Analytics), Modular Java, NoSQL Database,
> OFBiz (Open Source Enterprise Resource Planning), Apache OpenOffice, Web Infrastructure,
Business & Community, and many more.

> Travel assistance is available for select individuals who qualify. To apply, visit https://www.apache.org/travel/
>

> Selected Speakers/Trainers will be notified on 26 November.
>

> 2) Early-Bird registration is NOW OPEN.
>

> The SUPER EARLY BIRD registration rate is $1,095 ($330 less than last year!), but you
must register by 31 December, afterwhich the regular registration fee of $1,395 is in effect.
Sign up today athttp://acna13.eventbrite.com/

as soon as possible, as space is limited. For details, visit http://na.apachecon.com/venue/

> Updates will be posted on the @ApacheCon Twitter feed and the ApacheCon Website. We look
forward to seeing you in Portland!

> --the ApacheCon Planning Committee

Cheers
Jan
--

On Nov 7, 2012, at 23:44 , Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> the subject says it. All infos are here:
>
>    http://na.apachecon.com
>
> (It is in lovely Portland Oregon, if you need any excuse, February 24-28, 2013 :)
>
> I likely can’t make it myself, so I am counting on you guys to pick up the bat!
>
> There are multiple ways of getting involved. I hope we can show a strong CouchDB presence.
>

> 1. Attend. Just get a ticket and go. If you are a committer, special rates apply. (If
you are on the fence about contributing, now is a good time to gain the commit bit in time
:) — The more CouchDB folks attend, the better a time everybody will have, and the more
we can show the world that we are awesome :)

> 2. Give a talk. There are plenty of things to talk about in CouchDB land, why not do
some of it? :) — Below is a list of potential topics. For some of them I have ready talks,
abstracts, sometimes even slides and recordings from previous talks, all of which I am happy
to share and make available for you to take and make your own.

> - Introduction to CouchDB
> - Introduction to BigCouch
> - Introduction to PouchDB
> - Introduction to TouchDB
> - Advanced CouchDB / BigCouch / PouchDB / TouchDB
> - Building Apps with a distributed databases (dealing with conflicts and whatnot)
> - The CouchDB Implementation.
> - CouchDB Grows Up: the state of the CouchDB community
> - CouchDB and Git at Apache, sharing experiences
> - Your CouchDB Use Case (why you use it and how)
>
> The rules are outline in the Call for Papers:
>
>    http://na.apachecon.com/cfp/
>
> The one caveat is the deadline, it is *this Sunday*, November 11th, no late-comers. I
hope we can still get a bunch of things in, I’m counting on you. Especially the US &
Canada based non-committers here, this is a great way to give back to the CouchDB project
if you want to.

> If you think you are not qualified, bullshit, if you read this, you will be fine to give
most of the talks  above. If you have anything else in mind, submit that, too :)

> If you need any assistance writing the abstract, making slides later and rehearsing,
please get in touch, myself & others here are happy to help.

> If you think this is intimidating, it most certainly is (lot’s of smart people that
one doesn’t know, foreign city, etc). I guarantee it is worth getting over this. The Apache
folks a friendly bunch, even if they come over rough sometimes on mailing lists. It is really
nice to put names to faces and I’m sure you will make a friend or two.

> Plus, this is a great opportunity to check out on other projects. I am currently at ApacheCon
EU and I learned tons about Cassandra and Lucene, both of which have implemented things we
might want to look at in the future.

> Last but not least, there is a budget for helping with travel expenses.
>

> 3. Run / attend a community event. The two days before ApacheCon proper are reserved
for all sorts of community events like BarCamps, Hackathons, Trainings and whatnot. I’d
love to see a CouchHack-like event there, where devs and users can come together, and teach
and learn and hack together. All we need is a space to do things. I know we have friends in
Portland that could help with that. It’d be a matter of attending and volunteering to help
to be around. — I’d love if one of you could step up and say, “Hey, I’ll take this”
and then you, or a small group, can set everything up and invite everybody to come.

> I’ve done this before in Berlin and it is great fun and not a lot of work, so I agreed
to do it again (the promised email is forthcoming) in Berlin. If you think you can do it,
but need help, let us know loud and clear, together we can do this!

> * * *
>
> If you have any questions, please get in touch. I hope we can turn this into a great
event for the CouchDB community, by the CouchDB community :)