couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Does CouchDB support HTTP pipelining?
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2012 21:53:37 GMT
On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 4:54 PM, Jens Alfke <jens@couchbase.com> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2012, at 1:15 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com<mailto:paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>>
wrote:

> That's an intriguing datapoint because _all_docs?include_docs=true is
> the same algorithmic complexity as issuing a larger number of GET
> requests. That would suggest that something in the HTTP layer is
> adding significant overhead to individual requests
>
> Interesting. I could try to write a test case in Ruby or Python — something that would
first fetch a large number of docs as individual GETs, then fetch the same docs in a single
_all_docs.

That could be useful but the bigger chunk of work here will be in
setting up and running the profiling for short lived processes.

> I’m assuming that the ?revisions=true option doesn’t add a huge amount of overhead,
since the revision tree is already contained in the document’s b-tree node, right? So it
would just require converting the revision's history into JSON and transmitting that JSON.

> —Jens

Yeah, the hardest of bit of all this would just be adding the plumbing
to get that option down to the appropriate open_doc calls.