couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Melo <andrew.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: One request will not respond until another request is made
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2012 22:40:23 GMT
On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 5:18 PM, Tim Black <tim@alwaysreformed.com> wrote:
> I'm developing a couchapp.  I'm accessing the database via
> jquery.couch.js and backbone-couchdb.js, and used to be able to make
> requests to the database with no problem, but now for some reason
> although requests to the /app/_design/app/index.html (and the files it
> loads) succeed (as expected), when I try to refresh (or otherwise use)
> Futon in the same Google Chrome browser window, but in a different tab,
> the database does not respond until I refresh the browser tab containing
> /app/_design/app/index.html (this is NOT expected; this is the
> problem).  Futon responds fine in a separate Firefox window, though,
> without refreshing the ...index.html window in Google Chrome.  But if I
> open both my application and Futon in separate tabs of the same Firefox
> window, the same problem occurs in Firefox too.  So it appears the
> problem boils down to this:  within the context of the same browser
> session, in some cases one request will not respond until another
> request is made.  I don't know yet which request is the trigger that
> enables other requests to get a response.  I think this is an
> authentication problem, but haven't been able to figure it out yet.  Any
> ideas how I can solve the problem?

It sounds like you're running into the "HTTP recommends only two
concurrent connections per server" issue. If Chrome is hanging and
firefox will let you connect fine, it sounds like couch is responding
okay, it's just Chrome's waiting for one of its connections to free up
to download a different file.

HTH,
Andrew

> A little more info:
>
> I'm using basic authentication.  I haven't messed with vhosts.
>
> In Chrome's Developer Tools network tab, the requests which do not
> return a response are labeled "(pending)" in the "Status" column.  In
> other words, there is no three-digit response code, because there is no
> response.
>
> For example, one request is to
> http://localhost:5984/rcl/_changes?heartbeat=10000&feed=longpoll&since=1598.
> It is labeled "(pending)" in the network tab.  But when I put curl
> http://localhost:5984/rcl/_changes?heartbeat=10000&feed=longpoll&since=1598
> into a terminal, I get a normal response.  So could jquery.couch.js
> and/or backbone-couchdb.js (I'm using both) be overwriting each other's
> authentication cookie?
>
> I notice that beam.smp is using around 154 MB of RAM, and that doesn't
> seem right to me.
>
> Thanks for any help!
>
> Tim

Andrew Melo