couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Ramage <ryan.ram...@gmail.com>
Subject A new Garden
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2012 21:12:40 GMT
Hey relaxers, you may remember the original garden that jchris did.
Well, I have taken that idea and run with it.

Checkout http://garden20.com

The idea is really to provide an open platform for both developers and
end users, all firmly rooted in couchdb.

For users, it could not be simpler to install an app anywhere. With a
few steps a user could be running your app in the cloud with no
installation headaches.
They will be able to choose downloads for most platforms, as well as
the option of a private couch provided by IrisCouch. It is all
hopefully very frictionless.

For developers it solves many distribution problems. Its very easy to
make new apps using the existing couch tool-chains. You can even
retrofit existing couchapps
quickly an put them in the market. Also, the garden provides a very
good way to push and manage updates. Another wall hit by developers is
the private data scenario.
You could even have them install the app, work with private data
locally (or in a private cloud) and setup a sync back to a central
place.

I hope the community will pitch in and create or retrofit some amazing
apps. Here are some ideas:

- Apps that make it easy to quickly get a public site going. Forum
apps, issue trackers, etc
- Collaboration apps that will work together.
- Personal apps that can sync to a private hosted space, and between a
users devices.

Thanks, and please provide me with any feedback, ideas, bugs or whatever!

Ryan