couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: recovering data from an unfinished compaction db
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2012 16:47:28 GMT
On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 11:42 AM, Rudi Benkovič <rudib@whiletrue.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 6:00 PM, Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com> wrote:
>> The quickest way to fix this would probably be to go back and update
>> recover-couchdb to recognize the new disk format. Although that gets
>> harder now that snappy compression is involved.
>
> I've tried upgrading recover-couchdb to 1.2.0 couch codebase, but my
> total lack of Erlang experience and CouchDB's internal really isn't
> helping. :) I've contacted the maintainer of that project, hopefully
> it isn't that big of change. BTW, if anyone else wants to do that, I'm
> happy to sponsor the work.
>
> How hard would it be to just grep the compacted DB, extract data
> around kv_node headers and decompress Snappy data with an external,
> non-CouchDB-Erlang program? I'm willing to write the thing in C#, just
> some basic pointers to the DB structure and what data gets compressed
> and where the Document IDs and attachments data gets stored.
>
> Thanks.
>
> --Rudi

I'm not familiar enough with the project to comment. I wouldn't think
it'd be that hard, but its possible something changed enough to
increase the difficulty. As to reading the format from C# or some
other language its not something I would be all that interested in
trying as the bang/buck ratio isn't all that favorable.