couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Any way to upload a revision in pieces?
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2012 22:17:06 GMT
fwiw, I uploaded a 150mb attachment to my cloudant account no problem. Perhaps I need larger
attachments or multiple?

On 9 Sep 2012, at 23:00, Robert Newson wrote:

> I'm saying that multipart/related uploads should allow attachments considerably larger
than 64 mb. The limit, on Cloudant, should be available disk space in the cluster and your
budget, since disk usage is part of the metered service.

> From what I've read here and elsewhere, this is probably more like a bug in the clustering
code for attachment stream (since we fork the stream during the request to make 3 copies of
it) and/or a timeout in the load balancing layer.

> This is something I'd like to see fixed (assuming I'm right in that last paragraph) and
it sounds easy to reproduce.

> B.
>
> On 9 Sep 2012, at 22:36, Jens Alfke wrote:
>

>> On Sep 9, 2012, at 2:28 PM, Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>>> No, there's no way to do that, since a document must change from one revision
to another atomically.

>> That’s what I thought.
>>
>>> The CouchDB replicator uses multipart/related PUT to send the document and all
attachments (streamed) in a single request. The max_document_size (4gb, insanely, in couchdb,
64mb on cloudant) does not apply to streamed attachments or the multipart/related PUT method.
It seems like you're asserting that TouchDB doesn't follow suit, which would surprise me.

>> TouchDB’s replicator uploads docs with attachments in MIME multipart/related format.
But Cloudant is rejecting them anyway. Are you saying it ought to be allowing HTTP uploads
of arbitrary size as long as the main JSON doc is < 64MB? Because that isn’t what's happening.