couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "john.tiger" <john.tigernas...@gmail.com>
Subject organizing docs
Date Sun, 09 Sep 2012 15:14:54 GMT
we like couchdb but the most frustrating part of trying to use it is the
poor state of documentation (this is not a criticism, just how we find
the current state) - there are some docs but they are scattered all over
the place and hard to follow or find.  (ie we are trying to find any
docs or tuts on the security features as of 1.20 - cannot find it aside
from the "what's new" notes and the security chapter in the definitive
guide based on 0.11)

how can we help to get this organized better ?  right now it does not
appear that any docs are downloaded with the source - what is the
"official" documentation ?  roadmap ?  there is a wiki, user guide, api
listing, the definitive guide book project, some good tutorials but
across various versions (especially on couch app, planet couch (which
seems non active), much good info in the users forum that could be
posted in docs, just a couple of brief posts on jquery.couch, .......
There is not even a menu button for documentation on the home page !

is there any sort of "team" for docs ?  if not, let's create one.  is
there an "official" place for any existing or new documentation ?  if
not, let's assign it or create it along with easy instructions on how to
contribute (contributions are sorely needed).

so a) I hope the "core" team can recognize/accept the fact the docs
needs lots of work and b) we are offering to help and I hope the core
team is willing to accept some outside help on this.

so if yes to both, first order is to create a docs team (that can make
decisions on what goes where, review contributions, ...) and then create
a docs roadmap