couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Ajay Pawaskar" <APawas...@genesisinfo.com>
Subject RE: Data Size
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2012 20:01:05 GMT
Hi Dave
Sorry For Late Reply
1] Expected Number Of Document upload at First 8,575,844 each of 2MB
i.e. nearly 16-17 TB.
     I am adding these documents as attachment.

For my test purposes I tried to insert 1000 documents of 1.37mb each.my
program took approx. 8 Min to insert these number documents with this
much of data size.
At this rate it will take 5 days to upload 1TB of data, Which is too
much of time kindly know I am missing something.

Thx,
Ajay.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dave Cottlehuber [mailto:dave@muse.net.nz]
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2012 10:01 AM
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Re: Data Size

On 19 July 2012 21:43, Ajay Pawaskar <APawaskar@genesisinfo.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am Using Couch DB with .net Application.
>
> I want to store the Image Data in couchDB.
>
> my current Image Data is nearly 1TB [from another app].
>
> Is it good to go with couch for this amount of data... as I am going
> to add new images from my app as well.
> > I am concern about how much time it will take to Insert/Retrieve
> Image[Attachment].
>

> Thx,
>
> Ajay.

Hi Ajay,

You've asked a pretty general question and not given a lot of details,
so it's hard to give a solid answer.

1. size

There are couches significantly larger than 1TB. The number of docs is
likely a more useful measure. Again there are DBs out there with
hundreds of millions of docs.

2. attachments

CouchDB "does" attachments, and can stream these to/from disk after
retrieving the necessary meta-data from disk. So assuming you are not
disk IO bound your throughput will likely be limited by your HTTP
connection anyway.

3. General:

I'm not familiar with the client libraries for .Net, can anybody else
advise?

If you have some more specific figures and use cases in mind, perhaps
somebody can offer a more useful comparison. Things like  numbers & size
of doc, compatibility with JSON,  level of updates to docs, relations
between docs, redundancy & replication needs, working set constraints,
frequencies & types of queries you need all play a part.

A+
Dave