couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Stephan Bardubitzki <step...@bardubitzki.com>
Subject Re: auto delete docs
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:35:23 GMT
Hi Stephen,

I will keep that in mind, thanks for sharing.

Stephan

On 12-08-30 10:26 AM, stephen bartell wrote:
> What Simon said.  Im doing this in production.  I have a python script set up as a cron
job which queries the expire_time view.  Docs that get returned get deleted. Its a real small,
simple script and works like a charm.

> Im pretty sure you know this, but make sure to page through your view results.  If your
database hasn't been 'cleaned out' for a while and the database is huge, you're going to get
quite a massive response.  I once made the mistake of not paging my results in a node program.
 V8's mem limit is 1gb on a 64 bit machine, so once this limit was exceeded, the program would
crash and never complete its job.  You could see where this leads if that program is responsible
for getting rid of old docs and thus keeping database size under control.

> Stephen Bartell
>
> Look ahead, understand the shift, and imagine the right solution five years from now.
Then do it!

with nano (https://github.com/dscape/nano).

(some cron script, say) that queries that appropriately and makes the (bulk) delete of old
docs.