couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jim Klo <jim....@sri.com>
Subject Re: Using underscorejs in a couchapp list
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2012 17:26:46 GMT
Hmm... I'm using underscore.js in my views and lists...  maybe snake the version I'm using?

https://github.com/jimklo/TheCollector/blob/master/dataservices/thecollector-resources/views/lib/underscore-min.js

Jim Klo
Senior Software Engineer
Center for Software Engineering
SRI International
t.	@nsomnac

On Aug 6, 2012, at 10:17 AM, AL wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running archlinux and couchdb 1.2. I'm trying to develop a couchapp: although I could
use couchdb only as a database, I like the idea of "self-containess" in couchapps. The application
I want to build is fairly simple, consisting of list and detail views. I have a set of books
described in a bibtex-like fashion, and I'm trying to serve a webpage that lists the whole
collection, organized by year. Here is my view map:

>    function(doc) {
>      if (doc.application === "publication") {
>        emit([doc.year, doc.title], doc);
>      };
>    }
>
> I'd like to get a webpage consisting of several ul tags; one for every year. The getrow()
function makes it easy to make one big list (1. opening the list, 2. creating a list element
for every row, 3. closing the list) but for what I want to achieve it seems a little bit trickier.

> My idea was to use underscorejs `_.sortBy` method to reorganize the data by year into
a dictionary, to end up with something like this:

>    {
>      '2009': [
>        {'title': ' The Transformer -- Principles of Making Isotype Charts', ...},
>        {'title': ' Verbindingen/Jonctions 10, Tracks in Electr(on)ic Fields', ...},
>        {...}
>      ],
>      '2012': [
>        {'title': 'Tying the Story to Data: The graffiti Markup Field Recorder Challenged,
GML', ...},
>        {'title': 'Inside Photoshop', ...},
>        {...}
>      ],
>    }
>
> From there, I'd be able to loop through each key and append to my html output an HTML
list. Unfortunately, I'm unable to import underscorejs, as it seems like they have dropped
support for commonjs. There are forks and similar libraries that are supposed to work, but
whatever I try, it fails (see my question here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11781502/using-underscorejs-in-a-couchapp-list/11817375#11817375).

> So I'd like to know whether it is achievable in this way or another, and if my direction
is correct, how I can use underscorejs (or similar) in a couchapp.