couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Douglas Turner <dct.des...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Couchbase Mobile to CouchDB on AWS - Looking for instance sizing advice.
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 21:00:22 GMT
When testing I have noticed IrisCouch to be slower, but the micro EC2
instance really isn't experiencing a real load either. Could be any
number of factors such as PHP EC2 to Couch EC2 micro vs PHP EC2 to
IrisCouch. Internal network vs external.

A programmer I know with pretty extensive server experience thought a
micro would be fine as it's just many small IOs, but his experience with
AWS is minimal and CouchDB is zero. My gut disagrees, but what do I know?

I am trying to sort through all of this, thus me asking for instance
sizing advice. Thought I might get some feedback from the people with
experience.

-noob

On 7/2/12 1:43 PM, Robert Newson wrote:
> I'd love to hear if IrisCouch is slower an a micro EC2 instance, I'd be astonished. Using
a micro for anything serious, like a production database, is "penny wise, pound foolish" imo.

> B.
>
> On 2 Jul 2012, at 18:28, Douglas Turner wrote:
>
>> Hello
>> Let's see if I can articulate this sufficiently.
>>
>> Some background: I am a one person shop, I wear all the hats and I have been learning
everything as I go for the last 18-20 months, so I am still a bit of a noob.

>> I have an iOS app created in Titanium using Pegli's ti_couchbase module. If the user
wants to enable syncing, they enter their requested GroupName, Password, eMail address.  The
app reaches out to a php document that uses php-on-couchdb to check if the GroupName (database
name) is available, if it is, that database is created with the proper authorization/password.
This all works great and I am very pleased with it.

>> I am currently running everything into IrisCouch. I am considering changing over
to AWS as IrisCouch seems a bit slow, plus last week they were down all morning one day. I
have everything up and running on an AWS micro instance. (Couchdb 1.2). In fact I have two
instances, Couch A and Couch B. Couch B is my backup server and has a cron job running a script
to continuously replicate everything on A to B.

>> The current version of my app has about 3k users. If history is an indicator, when
this syncing version is released, I expect about 250 users (world wide) per day to update
to the sync version. I expect 80% will enable syncing. The numbers I am anticipating are 200
people per day creating a database initially syncing 300-600 documents (2-4Meg per db). The
Couchdb server is for replication only.

>> After the initial updates I anticipate an average of 15 users per day growth, databases
created with less than 20 docs to start.