couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Douglas Turner <dct.des...@gmail.com>
Subject Couchbase Mobile to CouchDB on AWS - Looking for instance sizing advice.
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 17:28:11 GMT
Hello
Let's see if I can articulate this sufficiently.

Some background: I am a one person shop, I wear all the hats and I have
been learning everything as I go for the last 18-20 months, so I am
still a bit of a noob.

I have an iOS app created in Titanium using Pegli's ti_couchbase module.
If the user wants to enable syncing, they enter their requested
GroupName, Password, eMail address.  The app reaches out to a php
document that uses php-on-couchdb to check if the GroupName (database
name) is available, if it is, that database is created with the proper
authorization/password. This all works great and I am very pleased with it.

I am currently running everything into IrisCouch. I am considering
changing over to AWS as IrisCouch seems a bit slow, plus last week they
were down all morning one day. I have everything up and running on an
AWS micro instance. (Couchdb 1.2). In fact I have two instances, Couch A
and Couch B. Couch B is my backup server and has a cron job running a
script to continuously replicate everything on A to B.

The current version of my app has about 3k users. If history is an
indicator, when this syncing version is released, I expect about 250
users (world wide) per day to update to the sync version. I expect 80%
will enable syncing. The numbers I am anticipating are 200 people per
day creating a database initially syncing 300-600 documents (2-4Meg per
db). The Couchdb server is for replication only.

After the initial updates I anticipate an average of 15 users per day
growth, databases created with less than 20 docs to start.

Using Cloudant is not an option at this time and I would rather get away
from IrisCouch.

Will a Micro instance be sufficient or will I need to go larger?

Thank you for the help and advice!