couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Herman Chan <herman...@gmail.com>
Subject newbie question - how to manage groups of users <-> databases in couchdb
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2012 19:52:14 GMT
Hi all,

I am new to couchdb so bear with me if this is really easy.

I am trying to prototype a system where there is group of user who can
share everything within a database to each other. For example, think of a
message board system that once a user is allow into a particular board,
they can view/update/delete anything in that message board. Also, a user
can join multiple boards.

>From what I read so far, the way I am thinking to achieve this is to have
multiple database within the couchdb server. Each database represents a
board and since board doesn't need to talk to each other, this give a nice
separation between boards.

My question is about user authorization. I know that I can create user in
couchdb and assign them ACL within one "database", but is there a way in
couchdb that it controls user access in a "database" level? ie. which
database can a user read/write/update?

the only way I see now is to have another table in a "application" database
can control user access, basically a mapping from user to database.