couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <>
Subject Re: Best stack for querying spatial locations
Date Tue, 05 Jun 2012 09:11:31 GMT
On 5 June 2012 10:38, Luca Matteis <> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 9:46 AM, Dave Cottlehuber <> wrote:
>> The trite answer would be to rewrite the Access DB into Couch with a nice
>> couchapp front end for your friend's local copy,  & then summon replication
>> to keep a public web version updated.
> This is quite hard. My friend (colleague actually) is used to MS
> Access and it would be really cumbersome to build a "web" version of
> Access that contains similar functionalities. He's used to maintaining
> his data in Access, and I don't think I can change that.
>> There's a tool to dump a DB into JSON -
> Awesome! I was looking for something like that. However this means
> that he'll need to upload his ~2gb of data every time he makes
> changes, no?

Not necessarily, you could easily export the 2GB file, massage it to
filter out records already stored & current in CouchDB, and then
push a _bulk_docs with the new ones.

Given that 5 minutes of curiousity & googling found those posts, I am sure that
you will be able to find something that meets your needs more closely :-).

It shouldn't be too hard to roll our own using an ODBC driver + some JSON
wrapping. If I were doing it myself, I'd likely use perl, DBD::ODBC and then

View raw message