couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Documents with 1000 revisions
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2012 22:09:37 GMT

On Jun 1, 2012, at 2:12 PM, Matthias Eck wrote:

> I noticed that a very small number of documents in my database have
> 1000 revisions, which somehow prevents them from being updated again.

I'm pretty sure CouchDB doesn't have any limit on the number of revisions of a document. Perhaps
the API/library you're using to access it has a bug that breaks with 4-digit revision numbers?
What API are you using?

> It is unclear where that came from, but I was wondering if it is
> possible to somehow compact just the document instead of compacting
> the whole database i.e. delete all but the last document revision.

Not really; compaction by nature affects the entire database (it copies the current revisions
to a new file and replaces the old database file with the new one.) But unless your app has
a need to access old revisions, compacting the whole database shouldn't cause a problem.

—Jens