couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB Lucene boost problem
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2012 14:07:23 GMT

There's index-time and query-time boosting, perhaps that explains it?

On 20 Jun 2012, at 14:35, Rory Franklin wrote:

> The error is now gone, which is great. Thanks so much for fixing that so quickly!
>
> Looking at the results of the search (with debug on for readability), it doesn't look
like the boost is actually getting applied? I have a boost on another field (same name, but
without the sort_ prefix) and in the BooleanQuery section of the search result it looks like
this:

> entry_human_id:1220091,boost=1.0
> The value in the index is actually 1.5. Is it the case that the boost isn't taking effect
or that my query doesn't manually boost that field?

> Rory
>

> On Wednesday, 20 June 2012 at 13:21, Robert Newson wrote:
>
>> anyway, I fixed it.
>>
>> You'll need to delete the index already built, though, and I'd love to hear back
from you when you try it.

>> B.
>>
>> On 20 Jun 2012, at 12:05, Rory Franklin wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> We've got a machine with couchdb-lucene 0.9 on it and various machines that use
0.7 and there seems to be a discrepancy between the two versions.

>>> In one of our indexes we are boosting a particular field so that it comes above
others in search results (we are searching for an ID and linked ID's in other documents, but
want the document that matches the ID directly to return above the linked documents), and
the definition looks like this:

>>> ret.add(doc.entry_human_id, {'field':'sort_entry_human_id', 'type' : 'int', 'boost'
: 1.5})

>>> On 0.7 this works absolutely fine, but on 0.9 we are seeing this error:
>>>
>>> 2012-06-20 10:48:04,251 WARN [lia_development] Exiting due to exception.
>>> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: You cannot set an index-time boost:
norms are omitted for field 'sort_entry_human_id'
>>> at org.apache.lucene.index.DocInverterPerField.processFields(DocInverterPerField.java:85)
>>> at org.apache.lucene.index.DocFieldProcessorPerThread.processDocument(DocFieldProcessorPerThread.java:276)
>>> at org.apache.lucene.index.DocumentsWriter.updateDocuments(DocumentsWriter.java:852)
>>> at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.updateDocuments(IndexWriter.java:2167)
>>> at com.github.rnewson.couchdb.lucene.DatabaseIndexer.handleResponse(DatabaseIndexer.java:393)
>>> at com.github.rnewson.couchdb.lucene.DatabaseIndexer.handleResponse(DatabaseIndexer.java:83)
>>> at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:735)
>>> at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:709)
>>> at org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.execute(AbstractHttpClient.java:700)
>>> at com.github.rnewson.couchdb.lucene.DatabaseIndexer.run(DatabaseIndexer.java:473)
>>>

>>> Removing the boost and restarting couchdb-lucene resolves the issue, I'm just
curious as to what the problem may be?