couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Replication and validate_doc_field
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 10:01:34 GMT

The replicator does not inherently have admin privileges (this would make our security model
redundant). It has the privileges of the user you run it as, and can do only the things that
that user can. This is why, for example, it's possible that design documents don't get replicated,
because that requires _admin privilege on the target. Thus, there is no mystical interaction,
the replicator is just a normal user automating the task of ensuring all changes from a source
db are copied to a target db. To get a 401 means that the value in your "target" field did
not include authentication details (or included incorrect authentication details) and that
your target server has require_valid_user set to true.

B.