couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Kemkes <a5s...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Replication and checkpoints - what to expect?
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 19:28:02 GMT
The bump was by mistake, I wanted to add to it (i.e., stalling replication - see other reply).
 Thanks for answering.

It should report 100% in my opinion if it has caught up with the current source sequence,
even though in the future there might be more.

The same should be true for filtered replications if there is no applicable document between
the current source sequence and the last checkpoint.  Otherwise you would be always wondering
if it has been replicated entirely.

-- Andreas

________________________________
 From: Robert Newson <rnewson@apache.org>
To: user@couchdb.apache.org; Andreas Kemkes <a5sk4s@yahoo.com>
Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2012 10:40 AM
Subject: Re: Replication and checkpoints - what to expect?

If you're running continuous replication, then the process isn't going to reach 100% (since
that would imply all future changes have been replicated, which is clearly impossible). I
suspect it's just a reporting anomaly. I didn't reply earlier because I hadn't had time to
verify the code but since you bumped the thread, I thought I'd best say something.

B.

On 21 Jun 2012, at 17:50, Andreas Kemkes wrote:

> Reply to user@couchdb.apache.org
>

> ________________________________

between a couchdb 1.1.1 instance and a couchdb 1.2 and then use the latter as the source for
several filtered continuous replications to shard a monolithic couchdb database.

> The unfiltered replication was started from the futon replicator api, all the others
from the command line using the ../_replicate call.  All replications are pull.

> The all work nicely, except that the replication between couchdb 1.1.1 and couchdb 1.2
seems to not write any checkpoints after a while:

> Checkpointed source sequence 911275, current source sequence 918089, progress 99%
>
> Is this to be expected?  Would an upgrade to couchdb 1.2 on the source system correct
the issue?

> I also think that the filtered replications, which don't involve couchdb 1.1.1, only
checkpoint to the latest sequence that involves a document that passes the filter.  Even
if new documents are added at the source and replicated to the target, a new checkpoint is
not always written.

> Is this a known issue?
>
> How can I further narrow down the issue?
>
> Any documentation on the interplay of replication and checkpoints would helpful as well.
Thanks for your help.