couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Kemkes <a5s...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Replication and checkpoints - what to expect?
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2012 16:50:53 GMT
Reply to user@couchdb.apache.org

________________________________
 From: Andreas Kemkes <a5sk4s@yahoo.com>
To: "user@couchdb.apache.org" <user@couchdb.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 19, 2012 5:36 PM
Subject: Replication and checkpoints - what to expect?

Upgrading to 1.2 on the target system allowed me to setup an unfiltered continuous replication
between a couchdb 1.1.1 instance and a couchdb 1.2 and then use the latter as the source for
several filtered continuous replications to shard a monolithic couchdb database.

The unfiltered replication was started from the futon replicator api, all the others from
the command line using the ../_replicate call.  All replications are pull.

The all work nicely, except that the replication between couchdb 1.1.1 and couchdb 1.2 seems
to not write any checkpoints after a while:

Checkpointed source sequence 911275, current source sequence 918089, progress 99%

Is this to be expected?  Would an upgrade to couchdb 1.2 on the source system correct the
issue?

I also think that the filtered replications, which don't involve couchdb 1.1.1, only checkpoint
to the latest sequence that involves a document that passes the filter.  Even if new documents
are added at the source and replicated to the target, a new checkpoint is not always written.

Is this a known issue?

How can I further narrow down the issue?

Any documentation on the interplay of replication and checkpoints would helpful as well.  Thanks
for your help.

-- Andreas