couchdb-user mailing list archives

From CGS <cgsmcml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: init terminating in do_boot
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 22:58:36 GMT
Hi Wendall,

Yes, of course. It's easy because I used most of the required packages form
the repository. Still, there are few packages outdated, so, I needed to
install them by hand from scratch.

The packages I had to build because being outdated in the repository: ICU,
JS (I used 1.8.0rc1, not so keen to try again with 1.8.5) and cURL. These
are all of them. Take care to the following aspects:
- ICU and cURL will be installed by default in /usr/local and
LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not contain /usr/local/lib. To add it, there are two
possibilities (not to attach any option to the configure script):
a) in BASH: export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib (use
setenv for TCSH);
b) cd /usr/local/lib && for var in $(ls) ; do if [ ! -d ${var} ] ; then ln
-s /usr/local/lib/${var} /usr/lib/${var} ; fi ; done && cd - (this will
create a symbolic link for each library from /usr/local/lib in /usr/lib
which is included in standard lib path - I did that after I got that error
in do_boot, but it is better to do it from the beginning);
- JS is even worse under x86_64 architecture as it creates /usr/local/lib64
path in which it installs its libraries - do as above. To install it, use
the instructions from
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_SpiderMonkey(nothing more).

How to build Erlang/OTP R15B01:
- check out the prerequisite from Erlang (
http://www.erlang.org/doc/installation_guide/INSTALL.html) and 'yum
install' them all (at least I did that way and Erlang didn't complain),
except for JAVA (I don't need the connection with it), fop (requires JAVA)
and wxWidgets (I don't want to build nice windows in Erlang);
- configure Erlang: ./configure --enable-threads --enable-smp-support
--enable-kernel-poll --enable-sctp --enable-hipe
--with-dynamic-trace=systemtap --without-javac (in my case, it complained
about not finding dtrace even if I declared dynamic trace as systemtap, so,
I had to discard it - nevertheless, it may be something which can be done,
I hope, but I had no time to get into it);
- build and install it: make (as simple user) and make install (as root).
This will create (if everything goes well) /usr/local/lib/erlang and few
symbolic links in /usr/local/bin, of course.

How to build CouchDB:

Check for the prerequisites on
http://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/repo?p=couchdb.git;a=blob;f=INSTALL.Unix;hb=master(it
doesn't matter its outdated a bit, it provides with a list of what you
need). In this moment you should have ICU, cURL, JS, Erlang and OpenSSL (as
required by Erlang), so, all you need is help2man (which I yum'ed it).

Furthermore, nothing simpler: ./configure && make (as simple user) and make
install (as root).

That's all. (Well, I omitted the steps related to download and decompress
as I consider them as too obvious. :) )

Comparing to the previous versions of CouchDB (1.1.0 was my first installed
version :D), I really consider what the developers did was to have added a
V6 engine to the installing scripts. ;)

If you have problems, don't hesitate to post them here. I will help with
what I can.

Cheers,
CGS