couchdb-user mailing list archives

From bryan rasmussen <rasmussen.br...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: include_docs with _all_docs
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 07:48:26 GMT
I suggest that enterprise usage isn't the primary use case for
couchdb. Or at least not for that kind of enterprise data analysis.

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen

On Thu, May 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM, dan@danmyersconsulting.com
<dan@danmyersconsulting.com> wrote:
> Jeans,
> 1. You believe in documentation but not in the database? So should I assume you'd put
it in a text file or Word doc outside the DB? If so it will get out of sync over time and
as a programmer you don't want to spend time keeping that doc up to date so like my thread
with Mark, a report of what attributes exist is self maintaining if based in the DB.

> In terms of what NoSQL is or isn't let's see what the community thinks, and what the
industry buys. I forecast that enterprises will only adopt NoSQL dbs that support enterprise
class needs including metadata and compliance.

<dan@danmyersconsulting.com<mailto:dan@danmyersconsulting.com>> wrote:

> 1. I'm in data management. There is a strong business case for having
> robust business descriptions for each column (where it came from, what it
> means, who entered it, how it's calculated...etc). Risk officers need to
> analyze what data is in a db that (aka after a developer builds the
> database and moves on nobody will know what attributes exist--without
> reverse engineering the application).
>
> That sounds like documentation. I strongly agree that data formats/schemas should be
documented, but that documentation doesn’t need to be part of the database, and I don’t
think there’s any really good place to put it in a schemaless storage system like CouchDB.

> In general, if you want highly structured data that rigidly and enforceably follows a
predefined structure, you’ve come to the wrong place — that’s exactly what NoSQL is
*not* about. It’s sort of like a C++ developer wandering into a JavaScript conference and
asking people how they enforce type-safety, constness and member access privileges.