couchdb-user mailing list archives

From bryan rasmussen <rasmussen.br...@gmail.com>
Subject when couchdb is not right for my use case
Date Thu, 10 May 2012 07:45:38 GMT
Hi,

I really like working with couchdb, one of the benefits it gives at
the beginning of a project is the ability to play with data, to
determine the right data structure that one actually needs (since I'm
an XML guy this is pretty important to me[I also think couchdb does
this much better than XQuery based DBs - too strongly typed])

So anyway, because I like couchdb I have embarked on a apache/solr
logs analysis project for which couchdb does not seem to be
well-suited (which I knew beforehand but was using couchdb as quick
proof of concept for some of the things I wanted to do.)

the drawbacks are:

logs pile up quickly, so the project is write intensive. Since the
data is being used internally for reports it is not likely to be read
intensive.
Should not need any revision management.
A lot of the benefits of db replication will not be useful.
Lots of views to data need to be provided.

So has anyone ever had a similar situation, and what did you move to
as your DB. Or how did you structure you couchdb solution to make it
more suitable?

Thanks,
Bryan Rasmussen