couchdb-user mailing list archives

From James Marca <jma...@translab.its.uci.edu>
Subject Re: reducing db size
Date Mon, 14 May 2012 20:12:34 GMT
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 04:01:25PM -0400, Tim Tisdall wrote:
> Okay, I see that you can tell that it's running by doing a GET on the
> database in question and looking for the "compact_running":true .  However,
> I don't seem to see any changes in the db's file size.

As the documentation of the compaction code explains, compaction must
finish, and then the new smaller db replaces the old bigger db.

That way if compaction stops, or breaks, you still have your data.

The wiki does a decent job of explaining all this if you can find the
right parts.  What I said above is found at
http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Technical%20Overview#Compaction