couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Matt Goodall <matt.good...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Couchdb 1.2 Automatic Compaction - How?
Date Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:51:30 GMT
On 10 April 2012 15:55, Mike Kimber <mkimber@kana.com> wrote:
> This feature is disabled by default, but it can be enabled in the configuration page
in Futon or the .ini files.

> Possibly obvious to many but unfortunately not to me; how do I enable automatic compaction?
I see a number of parameters commented out at the bottom of default.ini, but it's not clear
which one to uncomment to enable automatic compaction i.e. there is nothing that says turn
compaction daemon on that I can see?

> Thanks
>
> Mike

Just been looking at this myself...

There seem to be 2 sections in CouchDB's .ini file related to
automatic compaction: compaction_daemon and compactions.

Using the default configuration, the minimum you need to do is
uncomment/add a "_default" option in the compactions section.

The "_default" option applies to all databases. If you want
per-database configuration then add add another option using the
database's name instead of "_default". Other than that, it's all
described in CouchDB's default.ini, including various examples.

I actually reduced the compaction_daemon section's "check_interval"
option while I was playing around just so I could see things happening
more quickly. However, the defaults look sane so I'll be using those
for now.

Hope that helps to get you started.

- Matt