couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Configuring CouchDB/BigCouch for high-memory servers
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:41:52 GMT
Yes, it's deliberate. BigCouch (and CouchDB) doesn't typically
allocate a lot of memory (though lots of replication jobs would change
that). Having lots of RAM is recommended for the OS's disk cache,
however.

B.

On 20 April 2012 13:34, Martin Hewitt <martin@thenoi.se> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're building a BigCouch cluster with three nice, new servers with around 32GB of RAM.
These will be dedicated database servers, so all they'll do is run, compute and serve our
CouchDB backend.

> Looking at them in production, however, they aren't using anywhere near the amount of
RAM there is available to them. Is this a conscious design decision - to keep everything on-disk
instead of in-memory?

> Is there any way CouchDB can be configured in a "memory-hungry" mode? We're not bound
by CPU, and would quite like to see if we can unlock some performance gains by using in-memory
instead of on-disk data.