couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Mike Kimber <>
Subject RE: BigCouch - Replication failing with Cannot Allocate memory
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2012 16:10:37 GMT
Looks like this isn't the right place based on the responses so far. Shame I hoped this was
going to help solve our index/view rebuild times etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Kimber []
Sent: 10 April 2012 09:20
Subject: BigCouch - Replication failing with Cannot Allocate memory

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to raise an issue I am having with replicating a
standalone couchdb 1.1.1 to a 3 node BigCouch cluster? If this is not the correct place please
point me in the right direction if it is then any one have any ideas why I keep getting the
following error message when I kick of a replication;

eheap_alloc: Cannot allocate 1459620480 bytes of memory (of type "heap").

My set-up is:

Standalone couchdb 1.1.1 running on Centos 5.7

3 Node BigCouch cluster running on Centos 5.8 with the following local.ini overrides pulling
from the Standalone couchdb (78K documents)

bind_address = XXX.XX.X.XX

; number of shards for a new database
q = 9
; number of copies of each shard
n = 1

database_dir = /other/bigcouch/database
view_index_dir = /other/bigcouch/view

The error is always generate on the third node in the cluster and the server basically max's
out on memory before hand. The other nodes seem to be doing very little, but are getting data
i.e. the shard sizes are growing. I've put the copies per shard down to 1 as currently I'm
not interested in resilience.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

View raw message