couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Bob Dionne <dio...@dionne-associates.com>
Subject Re: Help shape the future of CouchDB: your voice needed!
Date Thu, 19 Apr 2012 13:34:48 GMT

On Apr 19, 2012, at 8:11 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> Bob Dionne wrote:
>> Mike,
>>
>> I'd be interested in your thoughts on this. Damien presented the UnQL stuff to us,
some time ago before he left the CouchDB project, and I thought then it was overly ambitious.

>> I agree that SQL is awesome and hard to get away from after thinking in terms of
relations for years. I'd love to see an alternative to SQL that was a better fit for document
stores, that takes into account that document are sorts of like objects with attributes. There
was considerable work done in this area years ago by folks working in  functional dbs.

> Umm.... CQL (Contextual Query Language, formerly known as Common Query Language).  Developed
by the library community for querying metadata.

> SRU (Search/Retrieve via URL) embeds CQL in a RESTful API.  Sort of OpenSearch on steroids.
 Some mature implementations floating around.

<http://alcme.oclc.org/srw/search/SiteSearchDocumentation?query=dc.title=%20pears&version=1.1&maximumRecords=10>

> Now an SRU interface to CouchDB would be interesting.
>
> (Amazing how people always want to re-invent things rather than do a little research.)

It is amazing, there's also the original UnQL by Peter Buneman and his students at Penn (Hasan
Ait-KAci, et. al.), FQL, etc.. What I was referring to in wondering about alternatives was
a revisiting of the foundations, research in the capital R sense, rather than just googling
about for artifacts, though clearly literature surveys are also important.