couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jim Klo <jim....@sri.com>
Subject Re: Need some advice
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2012 18:38:41 GMT
There's a whole bunch of ways to do that... but here are 2:

1. create a map function that emits all the days of the event as keys - the searching for
any particular day would yield those events
2. use geocouch, store the start & end dates as a box, then you can use the current date
as a bbox to find all events that overlap. Using this method, you'd want to store time as
an integer value and not a string.

IMHO #2 is probably a cleaner approach, but requires GeoCouch.

- Jim

Jim Klo
Senior Software Engineer
Center for Software Engineering
SRI International

On Apr 27, 2012, at 11:19 AM, Stephan Bardubitzki wrote:

> I have a database of events and since events can be multi-day events all documents have
a start_date and end_date. Now I want to get all events that happen today and those that are
starting in the coming days.

> How should I determine if today is in the range of start_date and end_date?
>
> To make things more complex an event can be assigned to one or more categories such as
sports, music etc. So the next task would be to get all events of a certain category that
happen today and in the coming days.